Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Viewing Hole is Growing

Tonight over dinner I had the best experience with my Spanish yet. It was a two way street of sharing information! I could finally participate in the conversation, understand what was being said, and give my opinion (me parece que....). The conversation that spurred it was about water purification and distribution! My "father" had so much to share with me about the waste water discharge systems used in Peru. I was actually quite amazed with his technical drawings and depth of information about septic tanks and cisterns, but shouldn't have been because he has a technical background (he reviews structural designs and has the qualifications of an engineer). I shared with him my information on compost latrines, gravity fed water systems and sand filters. There is nothing better than being able to convey your opinion and to see the connection of understanding in the other person's eyes. At dinner tonight it felt as though I was beginning to see a bigger picture and have a greater understanding of what was actually going on around me. As though my viewing hole had expanded from that of a small pipe to now something bigger. The conversation wrapped up at 10:30 when my brain began shutting off. By this point each night my ability to conjugate verbs declines an exponential rate, and it's to just head to bed.

I have begun to have dreams in Spanish and am measuring my progress by the ease with which I can say things in the dreams. Last night it was quite hard to say stuff, we will see how I do tonight.

!Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment