Monday, September 12, 2011

when the clock is ticking and the agenda is empty

Happy two years in Peru as of September 11th. Two years later, and I didn´t think I´d be able to say this, but I AM BORED! Even after two years of perfecting how NOT to be bored (and I have come to totally enjoy and look forward to my Person Fun Time), here I am, today, totally, incredibly, miserably bored. This is due to the fact that my Municipality is totally failing me on their end of the project bargon and they haven´t gotten any of the materials we need to build the kitchens. I would liiiike to start building, because we have two done, and seventy-three more to go. I have....about ten weeks left. Jeez. Thats all I have to say.

So, I am just waaaaiting for the Municipality to buy there materials. But, while I am waiting, I´d rather not be bored. But, I feel I have exhausted all my free-time fun stuff and need something new. What I´d LIKE to do is jump into some group sporting event (Frisbee!) or something, where it´s not weird that I´m playing, and I don´t feel like all eyes are on me. To participate in a group event thing here, I feel I always have to be the one organizing it! Sigh. Hm...so, my plan to counter boredom for the rest of the day is the following: yoga for the next hour (since I´m too jazzed up for a nap), paint a plate for this dude in site, write my Kids to Kids Follow Up Grant thing, read in the plaza with my grandmother friend lady who knits, cook dinner, and watch a movie. Great plans, huh?!

How I fill my Personal Fun Time (today, what I would call incredible boredom, and not many of these things currently sound fun to me…I´m ready for a new activity):

1. Read a book – I still have 9 I want to read before leaving
2. Study Healing Touch
3. Meditate
4. Paint plates or watercolors
5. Make wallets
6. Run/walk/yoga
7. Cook
8. Hang out in the Plaza
9. Use the Internet
10. Write notes
11. Journal
12. Clean my room
13. Do my laundry
14. Hang out with the host family
15. Hang out with the ´hole in the wall´ ladies
16. Hang out with the juice stand ladies
17. Hang out with the mailbox lady
18. Do paperwork
19. Go to the Municipality to talk with someone and end up waiting/reading/twiddling my thumbs for hours.
20. Think
21. Notice how hot it is
22. Swim in the natural swimming hole
23. Hang out with the people in the Potable Water Office
24. Call other Volunteers and talk…for hours…
25. Sleep/nap
26. Walk around my town
27. Go visit other Volunteer´s sites

*****several hours later, at the end of the day..... I finished my day with painting a plate, taking a 1.5 hour nap, eating dinner with my site-mate Beto, and talking with my family on Skype. Awesome day, and totally fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment