Tuesday, October 27, 2009

(Cuba) Libre!

So, yesterday I remembered how amazing it feels to have the world at your fingertips - I got a cell phone. At the end of the day all the aspirantes got a box with identical phones inside. Immediately after getting our little boxes with the phone, headset, and recharger cord, all 56 of us were figuring out how the change the language to english, and deciding which of the 10 ring tones to pick from in our feeble attempt to personalize them. The ease of contacting each other is still settling in as we gleefully joke at the truth behind the words: 'call me later!' Oh, me encanta estar conectado.

The other exciting thing coming up is HALLOWEEEEEN! With the limited resources I brought with me, I have to sift through my clothes and come up with something. Here is what I am thinking:
-Peter Pan (I brought green spandex because I never leave home without them)
-A genie (my Indian yoga pants are perfect for this)
-The paperbag princess (seriously, part of the outfit is to NOT wash the hair - how perfect!)
-A gringo (borring, I know, and practically a costume I wear every day regardless of how hard I try to integrate.)
-Something with a bandana: pirate, harley davidson chick (hm...), bumb, hick

Regardless of how much time I put into determining what I will be, inevitably Peruvians will see me for who I am - the gringo - so I can't really fail. And, reminiscing of times when it was so easy to go door-to-door for Halloween and collect a pillowcases amount of what I now see and prized candy (Reeses Pieces! Peanut M&Ms! Baby Ruth's!) I will be sipping on my Cuba Libre, texting aspirantes and soaking up the new kind of candy - connection to the world via my little black cellphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment